The What, Why & How
Frequently Asked Questions
Are your products organic?
Deer Heart Solutions create all natural skincare, hair care, body, and aromatherapy products. While many of our ingredients are certified organic, not all of them are.
Are your products vegan and cruelty-free?
Currently, Deer Heart Solutions does not use any products sourced from animals. Every ingredient is plant-based.
What is an essential oil?
An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing the volatile chemical compounds of plants. They are "volatile" because they evaporate quickly when exposed to air. They are "essential" because they have been reduced to the basic chemical properties and scents that make up the plant they came from.
What do you mean when you say "no fillers"?
Every ingredient is plant-based - even the preservative we use. We extend the shelf life of our products by incorporating Rosemary Antioxidant, also known as Rosemary Oil Extract (ROE). It is a pure antioxidant taken from rosemary leaves by carbon dioxide extraction.
What carrier do you use to ship our orders?
It may take 1-3 days for your shipment to be prepared and sent. We use USPS for deliveries so your shipment will take 2-5 days to arrive once shipped.
What is your refund policy?
There are a lot of warnings with essential oils. Are your products safe?
Our products are safe to use.
We maintain strict documentation of where each ingredient was sourced and what tests they went through as well as when each batch of our products was produced.
We use a HEPA air filter and santize every work surface prior to use.
Tools and bottles are sanitized with a UV sanitizing box.
We minimize exposing our products to air by using syringes to extract from and insert into bottles.
We sanitize your product container prior to shipping.
How long will a bottle of serum last me?
15ml bottle = 2-3 months
30ml bottle = 4-6 months
How much serum should I use?
My serums contain high concentrations of active ingredients. Please be mindful of how much you apply. You may love the scent and how it feels, but more is not always better.
Start by applying 2-3 drops - a small pea-sized amount. Don't go over 5 drops.
If it seems like you need to rub the oil into your skin, then try using half as much the next morning. If used in the right amount, this oil will absorb quickly and is not greasy.
What's your recommended routine?
STEP 1: CLEANSER
1) Cleanse after you shower, so your skin is softened. When a shower isn't an option, start by holding a clean wash cloth under hot running water. Wring out most of the water. Hold the wash cloth against your face for a few seconds. Repeat.
2) Splash your face with warm water and gently rub your cleanser on face and neck. I recommend using a silicone face scrubber. It is very gentle, does not hold on to bacteria, and can help with mild exfoliation. We do not rrecommend mechanical face brushes which can actually cause your skin to produce more sebum than necessary.
Use your cleanser for at least 30 seconds, but preferrably for 1 full minute.
3) Rinse off cleanser with warm water.
STEP 2: EXFOLIANT (1-2 times a week)
Rather than using a scrub on your sensitive facial skin, if you do not have sensitive skin, Deer Heart Solutions promotes the use of a well-formulated acid treatment once or twice a week. We don't make our own - partly because we love using this one.
Most acid exfoliant should be applied after you have cleansed but the skin must be dry.
STEP 3: ASTRINGENT TONER
This is not referring to alcohol-based or similar toners that make your skin tingle and strip your skin. These are botanical and floral waters or toners with additives such as Green Tea or Witch Hazel. Generally, people with very dry skin should avoid, but because of our step 4, this is actually something we can all benefit from.
1) Spray your face and neck with an alcohol-free and mild astringent toner. (Deer Heart Solutions is currently working on development of a Witch Hazel/Lavender/Cucumber astringent toner. Stay tuned!)
2) Spray a cotton pad with the toner and gently wipe it across your face and neck. This will help remove any lingering cleanser or acid exfoliant as well as help tighten and refresh your skin.
STEP 4: TONER
This method was inspired by the Korean Seven Skins Method. Koreans call toners and essence products 'skins,' which they layer as many as 7 times (or more). This method allows for maximum hydration and can help balance pH levels and sebum production. You end up with plump and supple skin that is ready to take on the products to follow.
The beauty of this method is that you can incorporate multiple types of toners into your routine, which will allow you to expand the benefits that toner can offer.
1) Using a toner of your choice, such as Harmony Toner C, spray your face and neck until it is damp, 4-6 times. The amount will vary depending on how thirsty your skin is, the humidity where you live, etc.
2) While your skin absorbs the toner, do not let air dry, because much of the toner will jut evaporate. Rather, tap your fingers around your face and neck. Do NOT runb. Tapping will help with circulation, can help improve absorption, and turns the process into a ritual of loving yourself.
It doesn't take as much time as it may seem - but you defintely need to account for these added steps in your morning schedule.
BONUS TIP: Once a week I do similar process all over my body.
STEP 5: SERUM
1) Rub 3-5 drops of serum on your fingertips to evenly distribute and warm the oil.
2) Gently tap your fingertips around your face and neck.
3) Lightly brush your fingertips across your skin to spread the oil. There is no need to rub the skin. Your skin will drink up the oil, partly due to the toner method and because the quality of our oils, such as Face Food Morning Serum and Knox Renewal Night Serum. They absorb quickly, are light, and are not greasy when used at the recommended amount. If you feel like you need to rub the oil in, try using less the next day.
4) If there is still oil remaining on your finger tips after tapping and spreading the oil, press your fingers against your skin, moving from forehead to cheeks, chin, and neck.
4) Let your skin set for a minute, allowing the oils to fully absorb.
Step 5: MOISTURIZER
1) Apply your favorite moisturizer.
Does your acne treatment work for teenagers?
How much beard oil should I use?
New beards, up to 1 month: 3-4 drops
1-3 months: 4-6 drops
3-12 months: 6-10 drops
1 year and over: 10+ drops
How long will a bottle of beard oil last me?
15ml bottle = 2-3 months
30ml bottle = 4-6 months
15ml bottle = 1 months
30ml bottle = 2 months